Wednesday, September 2, 2009

A Funny Thing Happened on Our Adoption Journey

A couple of years ago, while in Louisville, my youngest son finally, at 16 years of age, asked for a dog, and because of our circumstances (our rental unit allowed dogs :) we finally gave in. There was one condition, it had to be a rescue and had to get along with our established family pet, a rescue bunny named Moose. Moose was a 17 pound Flemish Giant and was great member of the family.

Moose was the runt of his litter and already had his issues like genetic cataracts, and he suffered with gastro-intestinal stasis, he had trouble 'going' at least once a year during his molt. So, as long as Moose accepted the dog, we would have a dog. So the search began.

One day, on the freecycle Louisville list, someone posted a free 4 yo black lab mix (she is a pure bred with a white blaze-not show quality...big deal), so I inquired about her. We received pictures and Cale fell in love. Cale did do some waffling on the matter, you know 'am I ready for that type of responsibility...yada yada yada...but finally said yes. So we went and picked her up, with the intention of having her for the weekend, right? :)

She did fine all the way home even though she gets car sick and that was about a 30 minute ride from her home to ours...then she met Moose. She submitted to him and it was precious! Then he submitted to her and she licked him and he melted, which was amazing. We made sure to keep them separate just to be safe as dogs and buns, especially new, should never be left alone.

Maddie would go up to Moose and nudge his side with her nose and then he would stick his nose in the air and let her tail hit him in the face! They were so good together, and in no time Maddie became Mooses protector. Needless to say, we kept her!

Last year we had to put Moose down at 5 years old because of a lymphoma cancer, one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. Both Maddie and I went into a depression. Maddie moped so much, her best friend was gone. :( So we adopted a new bunny, Midnight, Middie for short and does she ever have an attitude! So now we have the Middie and Maddie show! Different relationship than the one with Moose, but just as funny.

So anyway, Monday was Tony's day off, the only one he gets a week. He went to take Maddie for a walk in the morning and ended up twisting his ankle and skinning his knee. I never appreciated a dog more! When Tony fell, she turned around and laid at his side until he could get up and walk again. Then she laid on the couch with him while he iced his ankle and just stayed with him all day. She totally loves Tony! When I have my migraines, she becomes my dog and lays in bed with me all day everyday until it's gone. What a great girl! And she LOVES kids, she will whine if she sees kids until they come and pet her :)

So Tuesday morning at about 2:30 am, Maddie started pacing and going from room to room, and it was about every 10 minutes. Suddenly I, who has dog ears to also, could hear 4 very distinct beeps about every 10 minutes and it dawned on me that they were the smoke detectors batteries dying. She did not sleep at all and neither did we. I gave her Dramamine to relax her about 10:30 am and she slept on the couch with the tv on all day til about 4:30. Unfortunately I didn't put my foot down, Tony changed the one battery outside our kitchen door, which didn't start beeping until late in that afternoon, and he said that should do the trick...yeah right! That's why I am awake and blogging at 2:30 this morning, 'cuz everything is done. :) Every battery in the basement is going to be changed before bed today! The foot IS down...

Anyway, this problem has caused some thinking for me. Maddie is a very high need dog. She came from an abusive situation. When her people moved, they left her tied up outside with no food or water. She has a bebe in her head, how did that get there? She hates rain, thunder and wind and shakes until it stops, and always seeks out her 'mama', me, for comfort. She has been seeking me out and I'm the only one she comes to when she is scared. Attachment parenting is something that we are beginning to explore. Our generation, and the one that advised us, insisted that a strict schedule and 'detached' parenting, ie. crying themselves to sleep, etc. (There were times that didn't work for me and I would pick them up and rock them to sleep...holding them will not spoil them!) Well what if that won't work for the little ones coming into our home? What if everything frightens them? Will we be patient enough to help them to understand that we will be there for them always, or is it too late for them. From what I've read, these children already know how to sooth themselves because no one comes when they cry. Will they learn that their mama will be there for them?

So, I guess I'm wondering if God gave us Maddie to prepare us for the 'high need' child(ren) that we are seeking. Personally I think He has, and I say BRING IT ON!!! I'm going to sleep on the couch with my Maddie now. And yes, I am prepared to sleep in the girls room until they are okay to be on their own...what a mom will do for her little ones.

2 comments:

  1. Hello! I am really loving seeing everyone's heart for the different orphans all over the world. Thanks for coming by my blog! If you need any help with anything let me know.

    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the animal stories! It is all about showing love and GENUINE care for those that feel lost.
    All any of us really want is to feel loved and to feel safe. We have God - those that don't hsve US! This is Christ IN us! I'm praying that your gift is not wasted - BELIEVE that God did not give you that gift for nothing! You WILL be used by Him \0/

    ReplyDelete